THE NAGYGOMBOS ESTATE
Antal Grassalkovich was born who was to rise from a poor official to an aristocrat in the Habsburg house. He used his influence as a count and trusted supporter of Maria Theresa to secure enormous estates. He founded the Nagygombos estate.
He built the Baroque palace from where he managed his lands which steadily increased. Soon he owned over 135 kadaster hold (nearly 80 000 hectares) of land in 22 settlements around Pest County and 21 plains.
The estate is made up of nine areas, and one of the largest is Nagygombos. The estate primarily produced crops for livestock, but there were also vines and fruits.
Twenty-five years after the Grassalkovich family died out and the estate was split up, Bernát and József Deutsch buy the estate from a Brussels bank.
The Deutsch family plant 300 kadaster hold (around 170 hectares)
A sumptuous large room was added to the upstairs of the Nagygombos winery and cellar, which is today listed heritage building. Later the write Endre Ady was to visit. One of the best-known family members is Lajos Hatvani (1880-1961), writer, critic, member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Kossuth-prize winning artist.
The estate passed into ownership of the Hungarian state.
The privatisation tender for the land and winery was won by famous Eger winemaker Tibor Gál, who then led significant developments. The Gál family released their first bottles from this estate with the now well-known button on the label. Gomb is the Hungarian for button, hence the logo. The mission was to make easily available wines, true to the qualities of the estate and at good value for money. Following the tragic death of Tibor Gál in 2005 the development of the estate stopped.
The Nagygombos Winery is bought by the Barta family. With the change in ownership development of the estate begins again. Currently expansion of the winey capacity is under preparation and the renewal of the vineyards has also started.